How To Keep Mold Growth at Bay After Residential Flooding
Recovering from a flood in Park City, UT, can be a stressful experience as you work quickly to salvage and restore the affected parts of your home. While you race to save valuable items, mold can develop across the house and become an even greater problem.
Where to Find Mold Damage
Some areas are especially prone to mold growth:
• Wooden furniture and other porous surfaces
• Microwaves, washers, dryers, and other home appliances
• Insulation and drywall
By prioritizing some steps of flood recovery, you can stop mold from becoming a nuisance, make the recovery process much easier to complete, and avoid a lengthy mold removal process altogether.
Remove Standing Water First
Because any area with stagnant water poses an increased risk of mold growth, it is crucial to remove any leftover water from the house as quickly as possible. Ideally, you should clear the house of sitting water within 24 hours of the initial flooding to minimize mold damages and make the rest of your recovery work simpler.
Focus on the Floors
Flood water can easily seep below the surface of your floors and create large areas of mold beneath them if not properly dried. Depending on the type of floor affected, you may be able to save carpets and other porous surfaces if you can treat them quickly enough. A water damage restoration company can help you decide whether a floor needs repair or replacement.
Keep an Eye out for Growth
No matter how well you attend to water damage, your house will remain at a heightened risk for mold growth following a flood. As you settle back into your home, stay watchful for mold, especially in dark, warm places. If left untreated, these small patches of mold can quickly spread spores throughout other parts of the house, putting a damper on your restoration efforts.
If your Park City home sustains water damage after flooding, work quickly to minimize the extent of the destruction. Eliminate standing water, treat flooring materials immediately, and watch for the growth of mold. Contacting a professional for help can make the recovery process easier.